Questions for Discussion
* What does ‘objectification’ mean?
* What’s so bad about objectification anyway?
* Are there differences in the ways different groups of women are objectified? e.g. disabled women, BME women, bisexual women, lesbians, older women etc.
* How high a priority should objectification be for British feminism? Why?
* Actions we could take
Interesting links to inform discussion (will add more if I come across them by next week)
Object – organisation that campaigns against the objectification of women in culture and the media
Feminists Against Censorship – does what it says in the title!
Sociological Images – lots of interesting images here. I’ve linked to the ‘objectification’ tag
Notes from a meeting about lads mags which we had with the Cardiff old feminist group.
Stop Making this a Sex Object Thing – livejournal post by a disabled sex positive feminist
* Ground rules for discussion meetings (chair will bring some to discuss with group)
* Feedback from events this week (pre-election “What About Women?” debate and “Women in Politics in Wales and the World”)
* Roadtrip to Bristol Feminist Network for the UK Feminista visit on 28 April
* Use of the blog
* We might need to think of a bigger meeting space
* I’m still trying to get hold of Chapter re: Breaking the Waves festival…
Date: Wednesday 21st April
Time: 6pm – 8pm
Place: The Yurt at the back of Milgi Lounge, City Road Roath
Google map here.
Buses 38 and 39 from town centre